Saturday, April 5, 2008

Ear infection after ear infection...

Poor W, when is he ever going to catch a break. He was so sick over this past week, and that's why I haven't had anytime to blog. Yesterday was the worst day of them all. W's been on and off sick with a cold since the beginning of Feb. Well, he got diagnosed with his first ear infection a month ago and we've been on three different antibiotics. Anywho, we had a follow up appointment this past Monday to check out his ears (particularly he's left), and both checked out fine. He's lungs and chest were clear too. So, we went home feeling great knowing this last round of meds worked. To our surprise, W woke up Tuesday morning with a fever of 102, which this is the first time since he's been born to spike a temp. My first thought was the fact he's cutting four upper teeth, so I didn't think to much of it. He was acting like a normal baby, playing, sleeping, interacting, etc. He continued to run a temp. through the day, even with two doses of Motrin. So, I decided to check in with his pediatrician, because I have no idea where this fever was coming from. I spoke with the nurse, and she told me to keep treating the fever with Motrin, and to call them back if it's not back down within 72 hours. 48 hours later, W was still running a fever, this time it was up to 102.7, and he wasn't acting like himself. So, I called them back again, and was told there was a possibility it could be another ear infection. I still thought it was his teeth, especially with how much nasal discharge was coming out of his poor little nose. Plus, we just got off a third, yet very aggressive antibiotic. We got to the doctor's office, and was told his left ear was severely infected. I told them we've been on three different meds, and the first two didn't work at all. Well, she ordered the same antibiotic he was on before, yet failed to work. Who was I to judge her decision (I've never been to med school), so I just let it go. Friday morning, W slept in until almost 8:30 a.m., which he never does. He also woke up screaming his head off, which he never does. So, I knew something was wrong. His face looked so pale and blotchy, and of course his temp. was back up. W took a 7 oz. bottle, and was still very fussy. This was off and on all day, and he even took a 3.5 hour nap (he never does that). For some reason, I just couldn't get W comfortable and he was still very upset and inconsolable. I did call back the pedi's again, because he definitely was acting lethargic and in a lot of pain. They said it was probably his ear, and they were going to call in some anesthetic type ear drops to numb the pain. W was pretty much up off and on through the night, but woke up this morning almost back to himself. He was able to play, crawl around, and be happy. So, I decided we all needed to get some fresh air. Plus, I didn't want to miss out on such a nice day (even though it was so windy). I really hope the fresh air helps, and he gets over this ear infection. If the meds fail to work, we will be referred to an E.N.T. for tubes. I really hope it doesn't get to this point, but if it relieves the pain for W then I'm all for it. Please keep my little guy in your thoughts and prayers. I can't wait to have my baby boy back to 100% and that means no runny nose, no cough, and no more ear infections.


  1. Hi! Aww, i'm sorry to hear about Williams ear infections :( That's no fun! I will be praying for him! I am so excited to hear that ya'll are thinking of coming to Nashville! That would be SO awesome! We love it here. The weather is fabulous! Thanks for the birthday wishes! miss you and William lots! love, beck

  2. William's DaddyApril 9, 2008 at 10:34 PM

    Its a good thing William has suck a great mommy to take care of him.

  3. Poor guy. Hope he starts feeling better!!

  4. william's daddyApril 16, 2008 at 3:51 PM

    Wow. I must have been tired. It should say.

    Its a good thing William has such a great mommy to take care of him.