Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Summer Tradition

The boys and I spent the Memorial Holiday weekend with my parents, sister, friends, and grandparents at our cabin on the lake. My grandparents have owned their cabin since the 1970's, so we've been spending major summer holidays and weekends since I was born. It's neat being able to do this now with my own children. W was only a week old the first time he visited the cabin, and P-man was 4 months old.

It was quite chilly the first day we were there with low hanging clouds and rain. We even splashed the jetski and I rode it to our cabin with the cold wind and rain pelting my face. However, I tried not to think about it, and just enjoy my time on the open water. The boys played with toys inside the cabin that had once belonged to my mom and her brothers, and watched P-man go from room to room. One of my best friend's from college drove out, so having her out there made for a fun afternoon, despite the nasty weather.

Right around mid-afternoon, the sun decided to make it's first appearance, so we got the boys into their swim trunks to enjoy the weather...it warmed up too... about 10 degrees when the sun came out. It was so enjoyable watching my little fish splash around in the water...W even got it all the way. P-man had a blast too... he would only put his toes in, and then waves would come in and scare him (he's my delicate child).

We ended the day with a delicious Ham with Happy Potatoes, my mom's famous pasta salad, and baked beans. Even my picky eater ate up all the ham, which really surprised a majority of us. I'm glad I finally found a second source of protein he enjoys, with Nutella being the first. We ended the evening playing Skip Bo.

Monday was gorgeous temperature and sunny wise, however the wind was horrid at 20-30 mph with gusts reaching 40mph. Needless to say we didn't get much jet skiing in that morning, because the wind was so awful it was throwing dust, sand, and bugs into our eyes. Poor W was waiting all weekend to get his first jet ski ride of the year, but it just wasn't safe. P-man wasn't a fan of the wind either, and spent a majority of his Memorial Day inside.

The wind still didn't stop W, nor the rest of us. While P-man napped (which turned into a 3.5 hour one), my mom, sister, friend Jill, and William soaked up some sun and swam in the lake. Of course, I didn't wear any sunscreen. I tell myself this every year, "I don't need sunscreen, I never burn"...and every time...I burn...oh well!

We finished the weekend with burgers on the grill and some "see ya later's" to my grandparents. We will be seeing them again a in a few weeks for a family reunion. All and all in was a great weekend...it would have been perfect if Jess was here with us. I sure miss him... less than two weeks until he gets here.

During all the fun we had, we did take a moment and reflect on the true meaning of Memorial Day...to remember those who paid the ultimate sacrafice fighting for this great country of ours and to thank our men and women in uniform... especially to my husband who has been active duty serving in the United States Air Force for almost 11 years now... my Uncle Richard, retired Chief Master Sergeant with the Air National Guard... and my Grandfather, retired Lt. Col with the United States Army. God Bless the good 'ole U.S. of A!


0 comments:

Post a Comment